This Armenian inspired soup is great for the cold winter months (coming up soon) but it’s also super convenient to make the night before for eating the next day. I try to plan ahead, so if I know I’m not going to be home until later in the evening this is one of my go-to meals. If you like chickpeas and beef short ribs you will love this.
Do you have any favorite soups you like to make with chickpeas? Beef short ribs? Please share, I would love to hear!
- 2 pounds of beef short ribs
- 2 cans chick peas, rinsed
- About 10 bay leaves
- About 10 peppercorns
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup dried basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups water (more as needed)
- 1 red onion, diced
- ¼ stick of butter
salt and pepper
1) Heat water over stove. As it starts to boil, add bay leaves, peppercorns and washed beef short ribs to the water, close lid, and let boil on medium-high heat for about 1 hour-90 minutes (adding water as needed).
2) In the meantime, add butter to pan and as it starts to get hot, add diced onions. Brown the onions for a few minutes and add tomato paste and basil to it. Add 1 cup of water and let simmer for a few minutes.
3) Once the beef short ribs are tender, strain the water into another pot (this is done to remove the bay leaves and peppercorns), add beef short ribs, potatoes, chickpeas, and the browned onion mixture to the new pot. Add a little more water if needed. On low heat, let everything simmer for about 30 minutes to bring all the flavors together.